So we try to educate our patients that it’s really important to take care of their oral hygiene. Your mouth is the window of your body. So, if there is bacteria in there, in your mouth, it can travel down to the bloodstream, into your organs. It can affect your organs, especially in certain medical conditions like diabetes, hypertension. If you have an infection, your blood glucose level goes higher. So, we have to make sure that their gums are healthy, there’s no infection. If they have periodontitis, we try to treat it early on as compared to later on. So, I think it’s very important that the patients come every six months and get checked by the dentist so that we can take care of them in a timely manner.
Make Your Smile Shine With Preventive Services
Taking care of your dental health can keep harmful bacteria out of your system. However, brushing and flossing aren’t enough on their own. When you visit us every six months for a regular checkup, we are experts at catching problems in their early stages. We’ll identify issues you won’t see on your own, so we can treat them before they seriously threaten your smile.
When you come in for your checkup, we may perform preventive services like:
- Dental Cleanings and Exams – You’ll get a professional cleaning that removes tartar and plaque build-up from your teeth. We’ll also examine your mouth for signs of gum disease, cavities, and oral cancer. We may also apply fluoride treatments and dental sealants.
- Gum Disease Treatment – If you have an infection in your gums, we’ll do a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing. It will eliminate the disease and prevent reinfection. We may have you return more frequently to keep your gums healthy.
- Bad Breath Treatment – Bad breath is often a sign of an underlying issue. We’ll put you on a treatment plan to address the problem and freshen your breath.
- Dry Mouth Treatment – We’ll recommend products you can use at home to alleviate the discomfort of chronic dry mouth.
- Mouthguards – Whether you play sports or grind your teeth, we’ll create a custom mouthguard to protect your smile. A custom guard will fit better than anything purchased from the store or online.
Dr. Zia has invested in technology that makes examinations easier. For example, VELscope detects abnormalities that can be difficult to spot with the naked eye. In addition, our iTero cavity detector spots tooth decay before it progresses. If she spots any infection or damage, she’ll discuss the necessary treatments to restore your healthy smile.
Set Smile Goals During Your Appointment
Your checkup is a fantastic time to discuss goals for your smile. We’ll discuss the changes you’d like to see and create a treatment plan that achieves your goals. It may include:
- Teeth whitening to eliminate stains
- Veneers or bonding to cover up imperfections
- Invisalign to discreetly straighten your teeth
- Smile makeover to make more than one cosmetic improvement to your smile
- Dental implants to give your replacement teeth a strong foundation
Call 703-596-1529 for general dentistry in McLean. You can also schedule online. Sedation is available if you struggle with dental anxiety!